Sunday 27 April 2008

USEFUL RESOURCES AGAIN

Here's another source: Pollard, N & Couch, S, Get more like Jesus while watching TV, (Milton Keynes: Authentic Media, 2005)

In Appendix 1 (p.99) Caroline Puntis outlines the suggestions made by Damaris (http://www.damaris.org/) for reflecting upon a film:
  1. 'Identify the underlying world view: What beliefs, values and attitudes are being communicated?'
  2. 'Analyse the worldview: Do these ideas make sense? Do they fit with the real world? Do they work?'
  3. 'Affirm truth: What rings true with Christian faith as seen in the Bible?'
  4. 'Identify error: What seems to be inconsistent with Christian faith?'
  5. 'Identify a response: How should we respond to this material or this worldview as individuals, as a church, as a community?’

I'm going to apply these guidelines when I rewatch 'Firefly' and 'Serenity' as I think that they will help to facilitate cross-cultural and counter-cultural reflection.

I'm a little cautious about the use of the word 'error' in the 4th point. I want to make a stand for what I believe to be morally right and wrong, but I'm also willing to be challenged about what I believe.

Does that sound like I'm sitting on the fence? What I'm trying to say is that: ‘We need to be open about the possibility that film will challenge us and sometimes cause us to rethink our understanding and expression of the faith we hold dear’ see Maher, I, Reel Issues: Engaging film and faith, (Swindon: Bible Society, 1998) p.6.

No comments: