Thursday 3 July 2008

PRAYING FOR CAPTAIN REYNOLDS

There is a Study on Episode 2 'The Train Job' on http://blog.digitalorthodoxy.com/?p=646
which focuses on the way in which Mal handles the ethical dilemma that he faces once he realises that the job he has accepted involves stealing vital medical supplies.

Reading the notes for this episode in Firefly: The Official Companion Volume One, (London: Titan Books, 2006), p.54, I see that Joss Whedon felt that the act of returning the stolen goods in this episode, whilst not being against the ethos of the show, was a concession to the Network who wanted Mal to be a more likeable character. He is quoted as saying, 'In a harsher version [Mal] wouldn't [return the medicine], because his crew was starving and he needed to get them through'. He seems to have wanted the storylines to reflect the more complex nature of ethical dilemmas rather than a simple right/wrong distinction.

This leads me to ask:
What guidance can the Church/Christians give in the light of such dilemmas?
What right do we have to challenge the actions of others?
How do we remove the planks from our own eyes?

Those questions lead me to another one posed in the Youth Ministry Blog's Study Series: ' How do we approach people who have said that they are not interested in faith or, more specifically our faith?'

This comment arises out of a conversation between Mal and Book in which Mal says: 'If I'm your mission, Shepherd, best give it up. You're welcome on my boat. God ain't.'

Later Book is advised by Inara to pray that Mal returns safely from the Train Job. Book states, 'I don't think the Captain would much like me praying for him.' Inara replies, 'Don't tell him - I never do.'

1 comment:

Ben said...

Hi,

I just thought I'd let you know I just put up a post related`to Firefly...

http://brackishfaith.blogspot.com/2008/07/joss-whedon-on-religion.html